January 18, 2010

I would trade my built-in-babysitter for more time...And I did "not" cry when typing this...

My baby is growing up so fast! Not this baby
(even though she is),



but this one.


She had her first official babysitting job last night! She was so pumped! And did a marvellous job. When she was brought back home it was sorta bitter sweet. Sweet as in she's growing into a lovely and responsible young lady and bitter as in growing up - period. Dear Husband and I listened as she shared her adventure in babysitting; 5 little ones, feeding them, putting them to bed and what to do in between and afterwards. She was confident and had a successful night - she even earned some cash. We both listened with pride and heartache. She's growing so fast. The cliche is true.

We often joked about and looked forward to when she would be old enough to care for her siblings alone, sparing us the tedious job of finding a sitter. It seemed so far away and surreal. But here we are. Blessed. Proud. Thankful. Excited (think of all the possibilities!). Nervous. Sad. Humbled.

I once heard a saying; when you gain something you lose something. We might have gained a built-in-babysitter, a lovely young lady in the house but we have lost our baby, that little girl with bouncy hair who played dress-up and sang us endless songs.



7 comments:

maman Stroeve said...

It is hard to comment as tears are flowing! I must say that when I read "but this one" something squeezed my heart. As I kept on reading I had to fight the feeling that I had lost something or someone very dear to me. However, as I look at Nicole's pictures, eventhough I still feel somewhat sad, I also realize that I haven't lost anyone. Nikki, from the womb till ... will always be in my heart.

Christine said...

Thanks Mom! And in mine as well! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Now this is what blogging's all about... capturing all those moments and memories... even the bitter-sweet ones. What a beautiful young lady she is!

redeemed diva said...

She is so beautiful and such a gentle spirit! Wahhhh! Why do our babies have to grow up so quick!

Erin said...

Great Blog, I really enjoyed reading it and also felt a little sad.
Time seems to be flying by so fast I feel I have to catch my breath. It feels like just a moment ago I met you and we were off on an adventure with our 5 children (at the time), on a trip but also on beginning a journey of being friends. And I'm glad that God brought you and your family into my life. It has been great watching them grow and to be a part of their memories.
Nikki is turning into the most beautiful women, and it's because she has a great example of one in her life; You!

ps I like this choice of background the best.

Carisa said...

Hi! Thanks for your comments on my blog, I jumped over to visit you and read this beautiful post. What a beautiful family you have, and I can only imagine how you must feel. My oldest is almost 8 and already I am in shock!!!!

Blessings,
Carisa

The Schafer Family said...

We were so blessed to have her... is was a wonderful babysitter and I would be honoured to have her again. Thank you for raising up such a wonderful young woman, that we all have the joy of knowing.