May 12, 2010

Try as I may, I can't do it ~ no matter how hard I try!

The other day Dear Husband and I lay in bed talking and sharing. I read aloud to him  from a book. I read, he listened about about character training, Biblical parenting, tending to hearts and family time. The words read really spoke to our hearts and confirmed a lot of what God has been showing us. Actually everything we read echoed much of what our pastor taught in the parenting group we were part of this past month and last. Both used Biblical principles.

As I closed the book, lights and settled in for sleep I couldn't help but feel thankful. The Lord has made it so simple. In a world of 'try this or try that' one thing stands firm - His Word.

I said to Dear Husband "isn't it wonderful that God has been teaching us these principles? Imagine the beauty in following them!"

We are far from following though. It's a daily struggle as sin gets it's way.

It's hard knowing what to do but not being able to do it.

I know what it takes to be a good parent, I have read countless books, attended many workshop and seen wonderful examples. I know what it takes to lose weight and feel healthy. I know what homeschooling requires, the importance of character and discipleship. Yet I struggle with following through. I struggle with my old self, falling in ruts and staying there.

As I thought of this, thoughts that come regularly pounding to discourage I wondered why is it that we can learn all this, know all this, hear with our ears, read with ours eyes, desire it yet struggle so much.

Still and quiet I lifted my heart to His. A heart cry of sorts escaped.

In His faithfulness; ever so gently He showed me, that much of these, I try in my own strength.

Humbled. I offer my gratitude that He is made strong in my weakness. That His joy gives strength and that in Him I can do all things.

I lay, wrapped in a blanket of His comfort as He tends to my heart - broken and lost. In Him I am found. His burden is light and He calls me not to become weary.

I ask, as I have asked before "Jesus how do I do this in Your Strength and not my own?"

He works in my heart as I seek Him.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS!
I'm going through a similar journey, isn't that neat? I love reading about yours. God is so good.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Hang in there sweetie, take it from an old Ozarks farm chick...your on the right path. Enjoy your journey!

From the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day!!!

Trish said...

Oh, the words.

"I lay, wrapped in a blanket of His comfort as He tends to my heart - broken and lost. In Him I am found. His burden is light and He calls me not to become weary."

Thank you.

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't wait to see part 2. I'll always appreciate thought provoking posts.

The Schafer Family said...

totally agree...

Mel said...

I feel the same way, I know what it takes but some days lack the determination and even the want sometimes. BTW what book were you reading from?

Muthering Heights said...

I Love this...I think we all struggle with this in some area of our lives. I'm looking forward to Part 2!

Debbie said...

This was wonderful. I can't wait for the next part.

Lisa notes... said...

I can so relate. I know what I ought to do, but can't always find the strength to do it...because I'm too often trying to work from my own strength.

Great post.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Have you been reading my journal? Wow, we must be going through the same stuff!

Great post as usual!