January 26, 2010

Night life at it's best

Dear Tired Mama,

You know that thing you do at night, when the house is quiet, dark and it's the end of the day? It's called sleep, you know when you're eyes are closed and you dream? Sleep - that thing you do at night? Never mind, it'll come back one day and you'll remember...

I have lost much sleep these past 11 years of motherhood. There always seems to be something going on at night, whether it's a little one wanting to nurse, a scary dream, an upset tummy or some one's thirsty. There's also the dog jumping in the tub and getting stuck but that's another story. Dear Husband sleeps through most it and I being a very light sleeper wakes at the slightest sound.

When being a mama was fairly new to me I hated being woken up at night! The next day I would give myself license to be a grump. I also gave Dear Husband a hard time over it. I didn't give consideration to the fact that he had to get up every morning bright and early to be out of the house working hard while I slept in or took a nap if needed. That night shift was hard and it caused a lot of fighting.

But over the years and as I grew madly in love with Dear Husband I started to enjoy getting up in the night and quickly so his sleep wouldn't be interrupted. After all it's because of his early mornings and hard working days that I can be home with our little ones. His sleep became important to me and helping little ones fall back asleep became a joy and treasure.

Never is the house so quite, calm and serene as it is at night. The moon lights glows, the warm furnace air softy hums and there's a stillness in the air. A stillness that calls my name, linger, pray and delight in sleeping faces. As I rock my little ones and nurse, I hang on to such dear moments for in time they will be grown and rock little ones of their own and I'll have the whole night to sleep. I kiss little noses and lay blankets on small chests that rise and fall gently in sleep. I linger because never is a child so sweet and precious as when they are sleeping. A harsh word, impatient moments and the day's frustration melts as I look upon such a peaceful sleeper. Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll hear someone sleep talking. Such funny babble. My favorite is a little laugh or dreaming smiles. Some of my best pictures are of my sleeping beauties.

My night life has also become a wonderful time to meet with Him. To hand over the cares of the day gone past. And to pray in a new day before it has yet to start.

At night, when all is quite I can pray to Him who gives rest. I give Him my day and offer my night as a sacrifice. For in the morning He meets me and guides me. His joy gives me strength and by His Spirit I can have a peaceful day. My flesh demands I sleep but His Spirit gives me rest. The nights where I sleep or the mornings I lounge in bed are the days I feel more tired. The nights I spend with Him or the mornings I wake in preparation for the day, I have joy, strength and the day is calm. I can feel His presence in my day and by His spirit I can do what He calls me to do. No matter how much sleep I had.

Dear Mama, your nights won't always be filled with little one's needing you. There will come a day when they are all grown-up. It's only but a season. Enjoy those moonlight cuddles, intimate prayers, quite thinking and finding rest in Him. Be still and know that He is.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. – Matthew 11:28-30

4 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for the reminder... I have had the most amazing times with the Lord in the middle of the night.

maman Stroeve said...

I could spend hours reading you, listening the suiting background music, feeling His presence in every words and thoughts found in your blog, delighting in going back in time and being so thankful of the present. I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

This brought back to me some of the precious, quiet moments i've had with my own children when they were still nursing. They really are so beautiful and it's true, that season has been missed in so many ways. Thank you for bringing back those beautiful memories through your softly spoken words... now i'm looking forward... :)

Amy Sullivan said...

It's funny, at times you dread all of the night time activities, but now I miss those middle of the night comfort sessions. At times, I think I was the one being comforted.