January 30, 2010

Our Ever Changing Homeschool and a Season From my Heart


We are in our fifth year of homeschooling with Nicole doing grade 5 and Madison is following an individual program plan (IPP) tailored to her learning delays. Lucie is in the Christian school doing Kindergarten twice a week and David and Rebecca-Jane are learning via osmosis.

When we first started I was the biggest advocate for homeschooling. If you've known me long enough, you'll know this to be true. I was so excited about it and firmly believed it to be the best choice. I would talk any one's ear off about the benefits and joys of homeschooling. I did a lot of reading and attended most conventions, meeting and groups geared for homeschoolers.
I had this beautiful, romantic notion of homeschooling. I loved what it represented and wanted it for my family. I also believe the Lord led us to home school. For us homeschooling was a way of life not simply an alternate educational option. I jumped in with two feet and hit the ground running.

Now over 5 years later, 2 extra kids and a move to a new town I'm not feeling so passionate about it. I have run out of steam and my romantic vision of homeschooling gone. Most days we get through but many I just want to hide under a rock and stay there. It has become a drudgery and I can't seem to get myself past this feeling of disappointment and failure. I'm only homeschooling 2 out of 5 kids and it has proved to be one of the MOST challenging things I have EVER done!
Well, now that I've painted a very bleak picture of myself I must confess that I really haven't been the mom I know I can be. My plate has been overflowing and spilling everywhere. Mothering, homeschooling and homemaking has been a challenge. This past fall we had a lot of sick days, for almost three months at least one child was sick and sometimes 4 out of 5 were sick. It was rough to say the least! As a result we are behind in our bookwork and left feeling rather worse for wear.
Our move this past summer really put us out of our groove as well. We've had to work hard at settling in and learning a new town. Having our first Christmas here definitely made it feel more like home but it took a long time to get here. Our routine and schedule definitely fell at the waist side as we learned to manage our new space and living 45 minutes from the city. We have things under control now and feel right at home but it took a lot longer then I thought it would.
I go in seasons I guess, don't we all? Some very fruitful and joy filled and others not so much. This has been a challenging season. Its weight is sometimes more then I can bear. I see what needs to be done yet I struggle with getting it done. It weighs heavy on my heart and I wonder if we'll make it through. Will it get better or will it go downhill from here?
Last week a friend told me she was considering homeschooling and wanted to chat with me about it and let's just say I probably wasn't the best person to talk to about homeschooling. But it left me thinking about this season, how we got here and where we are going. When we first started homeschooling we always said we'd take it one year at a time, after a couple years we decided it was something we wanted to whole heatedly commit too.

As I waded through my thoughts and this past year I went back to why we started and what kept us going these past five years. Throughout out everything the Lord had always been faithful in leading us. I have always believed it was by His leading that we choose to home school - A great story I'll post some time. It was by His grace that we managed to continue whilst having 2 more babies. Even after having post-partum with David He was faithful. I had put Nicole in school for 2 months to finish the year and during that season He worked in my heart and encouragement came from the most unlikely places.

The years that followed always had a learning curve whether it was a new family member, a pregnancy, different stages and milestones or selling, packing and moving . Each year came with it's challenges but we plowed through and finished the year getting ready for a new one. I may have considered sending the kids to school but it always passed. We had chosen to home school and we were going to give it our best. Well, this year I feel like there's no choice but to send them all to school. Deep down I really don't want too but I don't think I can do another year like this one.

The more I considered sending the kids to school I couldn't help but wonder if I'm running away? Rather then plowing through and rising to the challenge am I giving up? I've taken most of this on myself and the other day I was struck by the thought that I hadn't really given this matter up in prayer. I was mostly feeling overwhelmed and seeing it through my eyes. What is God's heart on our year, what does He have for us in this season? What is His leading in our homeschooling? Keep at it or send 'em to school?
Over the years I have prayed much over our decision to keep all the kids home and home school them. I have prayed and cried out to the Lord when the going got tough and He was always so faithful to answer. Why hadn't I prayed this time around? Maybe I'm ashamed. Afraid of what He'll say. Shouldn't I be better at this by now? Why do I always come to Him broken? Maybe I think I know what He'll say and I'm afraid I'll disappoint Him. I've let Him down so many times. I've let the kids, Dear Husband and myself down. Maybe I'm in hiding, afraid of exposing my struggles. This has been very hard for me - admitting I can't do it. Admitting this year hasn't been very good. I can hear all the scoffers in the background. This post has taken me days to write.
But surly He sees me - my heart and where I'm at. I am reminded, He loves me, I know His heart, as I write this I recognize the all to familiar lies. The other night during a fellowship group we sang Hosanna and Grace Like Rain. As the words left my lips I could feel my hope being restored. I could feel Him and I was reminded of His faithfulness.

He came so that I might be free. He shows me the way. He fills me with peace and reminds me that He gave me not a spirit of fear but one of love and of a sound mind. That in Him I can do all things.

He sees me for who I am and He gives me living water. Grace, like rain falls down on me.

Will we send the kids to school next year? I don't know. Will we continue to home school? I don't know. I do know I will turn to Him. Hope is stirring, my hear is yearning, I long for Him. He will have His way with me. In him I find strength to face the day and in His presence all my fears are washed away.

Hallelujah!

12 comments:

Dan said...

I was happy to discover your blog today. I was unable to find a contact link. I hope it's OK that I'm contacting you through a public comment. I've developed an educational program for Windows called SpellQuizzer that helps children learn their spelling and vocabulary words without the battle that parents often have getting them to sit down and write them out while the parents dictate to them. The parent enters the child's spelling words into the software making a sound recording of each word. Then the software helps the child practice his or her words. It really helped my children with their weekly spelling lists.

I would appreciate your reviewing SpellQuizzer in My Life in a Blog. If you are interested in hosting a giveaway of a SpellQuizzer license I'd be happy to supply a free license to the winner. You can learn more about the program at http://www.SpellQuizzer.com. There's a video demo you can watch at http://www.spellquizzer.com/SpellQuizzer-Demo.htm and a community site where SpellQuizzer users can share their spelling lists with one another (http://www.SpellQuizzer.com/Community). Finally, there's a page targeted to homeschooling families at http://www.spellquizzer.com/spelling-software-for-homeschoolers.htm. I'd be happy to send you a complimentary license for the software. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you very much!

Dan Hite
TedCo Software
Dan@SpellQuizzer.com

maman Stroeve said...

Happy Birthday my beautiful child! .... years ago I gave birth to and I quote "a perfect baby girl". Life couldn't be better and happier. As the years were going by, in all its busyness and its craziness (in more ways then i would ever want to count) you and i grew up, sometimes together, sometimes apart, but we kept on growing. Today life is better and happier as i can say how thankfull i am to God for the most precious gift of you. I was given the tremendous privilege to un-wrap you and discover who you were becoming everyday of my motherhood life. Today we are still mother & daughter, but we also are grand-mother & mother and best of all, we are friends. Thank you Lord for your lifelong gift of love through my daughter. How is it that it is your birthday and I get the gift? I love you! Have an amazing BD, as amazing as you are!

Natalie said...

Hi Camie!

I found my way over here from A Holy Experience. I just wanted to say that the honesty of this post blessed me! I am sure that He will be faithful to guide you through this season and this decision.

The Little Miss said...

what an amazing blog!!! You are such a great writer and such a blessed one also!!! Keep up the amazing work!
If by any chance you get a second to check me out I would love you too! I have an amazing giveaway going on and one every Monday! So hope you want to stick around and follow me :)

littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com

The Schafer Family said...

I love you heart and honesty... you always bless me so much and I appreciate you more than you know. Thanks for always encouraging me when times have been hard. Blessings and Peace

redeemed diva said...

I loved this post! So great. Thanks for sharing the honesty of the ups and downs of homeschooling. Big hugs to you as you continue to pray!

Camie said...

Thanks so much everyone!

Anonymous said...

As you know, i don't know what to say except that my heart aches for you in this. I pray that God will guide you and give you a fresh, clear vision for your family at this stage in your lives. Your honesty and willingness to just "be real" have been such a blessing to me, as well, in so many areas of our friendship.

Mel said...

Wow, my prayers are for you and your family. No matter what you choose (homeschool or not)if you foloow the Lord he will bless you. Thank you for your honesty.

Liberty said...

I think it's ok to know we can't do it. Most of the time God calls us to do what we can't do, because in His strength; in depending on Him, we can.
I've had times when I wanted to send the kids to school too, but I see now that it was a temptation (a spiritual attack, whatever) from satan. Once through it, my determination to keep the children home was even stronger.

Robin K. said...

Hey...

This really spoke to me because I can so relate in this season of life!

The difference in our situation is that the school here is not one we would even consider sending our kids to and so that eliminates the dilemma in making the decision to continue. However, were we not so far away from other options, I could see struggling in my current vision.

We're in our 6th year too (I count KG!) and I have definitely sensed that lack of joy and sense of frustration many, many times. You feel like you're running on the spot... We so badly need times of refreshing as moms/teachers...and clarity of course, if we're not sure which way to go.

One thing I feel inclined to say is that I am so impressed with your kids - they really are sweet and their good-heartedness makes them stand out to B. and I; you're doing so well. The world truly needs more people like them so if they're the direct result of what you're doing now, I hope you stay the course.

You should know, also, that when I look at the pictures of your home (beautiful fireplace, btw!!! You have it so nicely done up too; I just want to sit down in that room and read a magazine or something...), I think "Wow, look at the discipline evident there, the organization, the way that she's managing". I hate to see you be so hard on yourself. You know who likes to accuse us...

Love,
Robin

Robin K. said...

A last comment:

God's favour is upon you, not on your homeschool... Know what I'm saying? Wherever you go.

Grace, sister.

Love and hugs,
Robin