We had an afternoon social with Lucie's kindergarten class. It was fun, skating on the ice with coffee and donuts back at the school. When it came time to leave we did our usual round up and good byes. I spotted four out of five little ones but couldn't see Lucie anywhere. I assumed she was playing in the hall with some of the other kids. Dear Husband put little ones in their car seats assuming we'd be right behind him. I looked around and did a round of the school and couldn't find her. I checked the van thinking maybe she had followed Daddy but he hadn't seen her either. The older two girls joined in the search. We looked down the halls, checked bathrooms and looked back in the gym. I checked outside and back at the van a few times too. But no sight of Lucie. I asked a few of her friends and no one had seen her. Strange - If anyone was to wander it would be David. She's around here somewhere I sighed...I looked around the school once more and went back to Dear Husband. By now, most of the families had left and a wave of panic was starting to come over me - Where was she?! I spotted her teacher and asked if she had seen her, explaining that I had looked everywhere. A saw a hint of fear in her eyes as she quickly started to look. It rattled me. The families that were still remaining as well as two other teachers joined in the search. Dear Husband drove around the school and in the local neighborhood. Now surely someone will find her! I was becoming very worried and told myself not to panic! 20 minutes had passed since we started looking and there was more then 12 of us searching! Where was she?!!!! I began to well up at the thought that she might be missing from the school or hurt and what to do if we couldn't find her. I had an urge to pray. Why hadn't done that in the first place? I took a moment and cried out a prayer " Lord please help us find her and please let her be safe!" OK, we will find her!
I saw our van pull up to the parking lot and I ran out to meet him hoping he had found her - Maybe she decided to walk home?!! But he hadn't. We decided to call the police - it had been over 25 minutes, it was dark and the whole school had been searched. Oh I felt heavy, like I could faint. Just as he was dialing the phone we heard voices from the school exclaiming "we found her! She's here!"
Oh sweet relief! A mama's heart cry answered. Thank-You Jesus! I ran into the school and was overcome with emotion. I hugged my little girl and cried. Thank-you Jesus! I was so overwhelmed. Joy, thankfulness, relief and even a bit of embarrassment. What a ruckus! And so many questions! Where was she, was she hiding? Why didn't she answer our calling? We gave hugs, shared thanks and asked our questions.
She had been playing hide and seek with some of the other children and hid in one of the open classrooms. While in hiding a teacher came in grabbed a few things, turned out the light and locked the door! She tried to get to the door on time but no one heard her. She got quite scared and hid under a desk! She told me she felt hot and dizzy. She heard us calling but we didn't hear her. We had only been checking unlocked doors - rushing from door to door checking if they were locked or not. Thankfully someone heard her!
I left the school feeling so many emotions - like a roller coaster all jumbled together and piled into a ball rolling down hill!
Our emotions are often mixed that way, aren't they? I was worried and scared yet hopeful and calm. I was thankful and overjoyed yet upset and embarrassed.
Coming home I whispered a prayer of thanks. I cuddled her tight, kissed her goodnight and watched her sleep - Thank-You Jesus that she is home in her bed.
After all the Dear Children went to bed I crashed. All my emotions - the pieces of that jumbled up roller coaster had come to the bottom of the hill. No longer moving, just there - a messy wreckage.
I sat, considering families who have missing children or the missing children themselves. My heart ached for them as I offered up a prayer. I hope you will join me this week as I pray for these families and hold my own just a little closer.
In Christ and for His glory ~ Camie
He sees my broken pieces, the wreckage of my day and gives me rest; for tomorrow is a new day and in the morning, His mercies come new.
2 comments:
Terrifying all around! I'm so grateful the ending was a happy one.
Robin
I'm glad all was fine. That is such a terrifying thing to go through. Sounds like you held yourself together really well!
Post a Comment