March 4, 2010

How it all got Started - 1 Part Prayer, 1 Part Dream, 1 Part God's Amazing Faithfulness!


I had 3 daughters; ages 1 ½, 4 (almost 5) and 7 when we started homeschooling. I had always been intrigued with home schooling and admired people who did it but I never thought I could do it myself, let alone convince Dear Husband. I had mentioned it to him a few times but it usually went "they are going to school, end of discussion!" We both didn't know much about homeschooling and on his end the unknown wasn't an option and on my end I was intrigued but had a hard time wrapping my head around the whole concept. I should admit, I didn't think I was qualified to teach either. Over time the desire to home school continued to grow and when it came time for kindergarten I was very unsettled. I sent our Dear Daughter anyway thinking it was my only option. In my mind there was no way I could home school; I just didn't know how and Dear Husband had already said no.

Unfortunately our daughter's kindergarten experience wasn't very good. More then half of the class was special needs, the teacher had just come back from a 1 year stress leave and she was mostly focused on following the class objectives - always testing the kids and moving them through her check list. She was a very nice lady but not very warm and friendly with little ones. Our Dear Daughter went to kindergarten already knowing her alphabet, how to write her name and her numbers and we were excited that she would be learning beginning reading skills. Now because most of the class was behind and because of the special needs she spent most of the days re-learning what she already knew. Dear Daughter became pretty bored and the social aspect of school affected her quite a bit. As time went by she became less creative, a bit unruly and she wasn't learning like she used to. She read less and played less. It was almost as though she had stopped learning! She was more and more unmotivated at home and less interested in learning new things. We tried to work things out with her teacher but she was set in how she did things and never made an exception for her.

Throughout the year God kept giving me a vision to home school and the idea grew in my heart. He placed people in my life who home schooled as well as opportunities to learn more. I began to pray and "wrestle" with God over how I could do it. I had so many questions and fears. Finally after struggling with sending my daughter to the public school system I cried out to God "OK, I'll do it!" and the sweetest message I got was that He would always help me and give me the tools to home school and that through Him I could do anything. What a relief! It was as though a huge burden was lifted off my shoulders and I was never so convicted in my life - this was the right decision. All that was left was for the Lord to work in Dear Husbands heart. I remained quiet and simply prayed. If it was the Lords will that we homeschool then surely He would change my husbands heart as well!

One evening we were discussing Dear Daughter and school and without mentioning my prayers and the exchange I had had with the Lord Dear Husband and I both blurted out at the same time "I think God is calling us to home school!" I was blown away - We said it at the same time, this has happened a few times when the Lord has placed something on both our hearts! The Lord had completely changed his heart.

I firmly believe when a wife goes straight to the Lord in prayer rather then nagging her husband or pestering him about something, that God will go straight to the husbands heart if it's His will.

Following our decision was a series of events that confirmed our choice. It felt so good to follow the Lords guidance and to trust in him. We attended a home school convention, purchased our curriculum and started our journey. We had some great friends in our lives helping us as well. We were simply over joyed and so excited about the journey we were to embark on.


Once I had learned more about homeschooling and how natural it is, I couldn't imagine ever going back - If only more people knew what a joy it is with many advantages, resources and opportunities. We started by saying we'd take it one year at a time but as the years went by we became more and more committed. My children love home schooling (most days) and the benefits are so clear. Of course we have some days that aren't so wonderful but that's life. I know our life would be drastically different if the girls were in school and I honestly don't think it would be better.

Over the next month or so I want to share the whys of why we home school , what we are using, what our days look like and what our future plans are...Plus I want to share with you what the Holy Spirit has been doing in our home school and the prayer answers we've had...You can click here to read my last post on homeschooling. Since then the Lord has been so incredibly faithful in leading us.

I thought I'd share with you all how it all got started...Stay tuned for more...I feel a new season is upon us, a season of grace and learning.


5 comments:

Elaine said...

Hey Camie! I loved this post and can't wait to read more about this new season of homeschooling that you are entering. Your story of getting started is so much like mine. God is good and faithful!
"Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring ti to pass." - I Thessalonians 5:24

Elaine

Katrina said...

Looking forward to this new season in your life! So glad you're feeling more encouraged, dear friend. :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

This is soooo funny! I could have written that post. God worked on you and I and our hubby's the same way.

I also sent my first son to Kindergarten for three months. I couldn't handle it. I brought him home and he was reading within two weeks. I thought it was their job to teach him to read. I guess not. I got my confidence up and the Lord used many godly people to encourage me along the way. He also provided over $5000 worth of curriculum for $250! If God wants us to do something, he will provide the resources. Even after running into learning issues with my oldest son, he has provided the money to send him to a Christian educational therapist.

I loved this post. It was so cool to be able to relate to you in an even deeper way, Camie! I think we are two peas in a pod!

redeemed diva said...

I enjoyed this post, Camie! Great job. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few months reveal!

Camie said...

Thanks Ladies! The Lord is so good, isn't HE!?