
Have you met my girl Allie yet? I just love her! And not because she has a great blog (have I mentioned this before?) but because I know her in real life too...She's wonderful! Check out Confessions of a Redeemed Diva this week as she shares some how-to blog improvement stuff.
Speaking of blog improvement...I'll be tweaking things up a bit this week. I have been wanting to do this for a while. Todays post on Confessions of a Redeemed Diva was about finding your voice - your blog voice that is. I feel like I'm still finding mine yet I think I know what it is...
Mostly I want to share about the ins and outs of a loving-Jesus-being-a-wife-homeschooling-loving-training-5-little-ones lifestyle. I want to share the good the bad and the funny! I want to be real on here too as life is seldom all fun yet in those times when all is a muck it's there I see Him most. I want to share that. I have been hesitating though, funny is safe. Neutral is safe.
Does anyone really care about the struggles and triumphs of a young homeschooling mama? Maybe, maybe not. Is that why I write? That has been my biggest question. There are a lot of blogs out there that are really bloggy, typical, fun and I can see how easy it would be to go that route. But that wasn't my goal when I started.
When I first started I wanted simply to write, tap on keys and get my thoughts down. I found blogging to be a fun and creative way to journal. It's definitely cheaper then scrap booking and it's right in the home - no need to leave to pursue this activity. And spell checker, I love it! So it has it's draws.
But I wanted this space to have a purpose too, a direction other then just sharing the ordinary everyday stuff. I want to share and grow in my walk with Him. He who calls me daughter. I want to be an encouragement to those who happen here. It just isn't always easy - especially when discouragement is beating on the walls. And really who am I to share wisdom - I feel so unqualified sometimes. And if I got really real would I get written off, labeled and put in a box?
I don't know why I think that but it's a the back of my mind, like a caution. I don't want this to be a place to vent either or give way to reckless thoughts. And I'm not looking for platitudes either.
To be completely honest most days I feel like a kid, selfish and silly, stupid and inadequate then I look around and realize that I am not a kid anymore - I have 5 kids, a homeschooling commitment, a husband and home to tend too, relationships to foster and most importantly my walk with Him to grow.
It all feels a bit messy and scattered. At least here I can keep things neat. Surfacy. Fun.
Safe.
Just thinking...
7 comments:
I want to see the real Camie. I want to hear how God is changing you and refining you. I want to give Him the glory for that!
If life is messy, then our blogging should be a little messy too, don't you think?
You know I try to be as real as possible without hurting my family. I try to never say something on the blog that I wouldn't say to their face. That's my rule of thumb.
Love ya!
I had a blog once for a time, when we moved our family across the country. I soon realized though, that I was too private of a person to share my thoughts with the world on a regular basis. Also, the need for success in that area of creativity was detracting from my real life goals and responsibilities (kind of like right now - still in my robe here).
The 'Mommy Blog Market' as they call it, has really exploded in the last couple of years and one needs to ask: What is the end goal in all of this? What are the motives? I really wonder sometimes.
While I feel that blogs can easily become too filled with fluffy nonsense, I also think that one should be very, very careful about what they put online because 1. You can't ever take it down. Even when your blog is gone, your history will inevitably be archived/cached somewhere until the end of time. 2. You do not want embarrassing, painfully private details following you and your children around beyond the season you're willing to share them in. Too many people just don't get this.
This is an online diary, and should be considered so, even if your name is not attached to it. It's not difficult to deduce who someone is based on the information shared in their blog over time. If someone is determined, they can mine information from points you've made ("we live this far from wherever", "we did this on this date", "my friend is so and so" (a friend who may have even more information to glean on their blog). It's a major safety hazard.
Anyway, not to be a bummer, but as a friend, I felt inclined to put my two cents in. Don't do anything you'll regret. If the Lord is impressing on your heart that this is His will, then I would encourage you to ask Him "what should this look like?" and about what needs to be said for edification. Undoubtedly there are many hurting people out there and I'm sure many Christians' blogs have ministered to people where needed.
Love,
Robin
I also just wanted to say that I have been inspired by your One Thousand Gifts record. It's really caused me to consider my own blessings.
Hey Camie,
Great thoughts.
I think it's an interesting line that you have to walk with blogging. What am I willing to write? And a big question is: why am I willing to share my intimate thoughts with the vast audience but maybe not my hubby or my friends who live close enough to keep me accountable? This isn't always the case, but that's a question I ask myself sometimes. Then I usually don't post that particular thought because I realize I am trying to get recognition and affirmation from a source other than Jesus. That's what I guard myself with in terms of blogging. And it's one that my husband is graciously keeping me accountable in.
Like anything else, I think we have to ask ourselves is "Who is this serving?" Christ came to serve and in order to do that, we have to ask "Who's feet am I washing with this?" and yet balance it with the idea that some of this is a fun way to be creative and expressive.
Keep praying. I love your blog and I am interested in your thoughts.
okay so here's my thinking. For me, I have to push myself off a cliff to be honest on my blog, and when I am I'm usually not specific. I don't give specific EXAMPLES of how I messed up if it's something that will embarrass someone else. But I think it's important to be real. Just to type: I'm a mess. Or, I'm angry, Or, I'm sad is humbling. It's a way of confessing I think.
And then take everything back to the Cross. If possible. If it's really what you think. Because people will smell fake 1000 miles away.
And then when you have pointed to Jesus dying on the cross, you see the point of your mess...and hopefully everyone else sees the answer to theirs too.
And in the meantime, be funny and ordinary. Because you're a person. I agree with Robin, it is a safety issue to be specific, and I really really TRY not to write anything about my kids that would hurt their chances of running for public office or getting a good job. :)
I'm excited to read about the ins and outs of your life! Because someday, hubs and I hope to have kids and I'm always in the process of learning from others. :o) Write away girl, and I'll be reading!
Thanks Ladies for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it and have been thinking about what you've all written...And taken it to heart.
Many blessings to you and thank-you for reading and sharing!
Camie
Post a Comment